Back when I had a much funnier, picture-filled internet journal-of-amusement, I could get at least one post a week done. I think this is because there was no draft-saving on myspace, and thus I actually had to finish what I started.
Last week Tiffany from work (who is also a famous author, did you know?) made me play the island game, or a bastard version of it:
You’re trapped on a desert island alone for a year, and you can take 3 albums, 3 books, and 3 DVDs. For the books I picked The Complete Works of Poe, The Lord of the Rings trilogy (in one volume, obviously; I could actually get through The Two Towers given a year in solitude with not much else to do), and a blank sketchbook.
I finally decided on the complete Cowboy Bebop series for the DVDs. It’s three discs, and it has yet to get old on me. Plus the theme is fucking awesome.
The albums were a struggle. Led Zeppelin Box Set, Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger), Willie Nelson (Teatro), Flaming Lips (narrowed down to Soft Bulletin), Cake, REM, and on and on. You can’t ask the guy with the thousand-record collection to pick 3 genres, much less 3 albums. This game is unfair, and I’d wind up on the desert island with no music due to indecision.
We also decided that no one actually plays Backgammon, because no one actually knows the rules. There are a lot of unspoken game truths:
- The only trick to Monopoly is declaring yourself to be the banker and then stealing money. This is also the only good way to play.
- Winning Risk is just a matter of being patient enough to play until everyone else gets tired of playing and makes suicidal runs at the biggest power.
- Bridge is not an actual game. It’s an excuse for ladies of an older generation to get away from their husbands and drink.
- No one plays mousetrap either, they just set up the course and make the ball go though it. It doesn’t work very well.
- Trivial Pursuit played among friends guarantees that there’s one category that everyone sucks at.
- The best chess matches are between a player with some level of expertise and a total novice- experience versus unpredictability and beginner’s luck.
- Poker is either a game of numbers or a game of wits, and numbers are fucking boring. Sunglasses and hats should be banned from tournament play.